Courgette (Zucchini) & Goat Cheese Tart with Sancerre
- 1 chilled PUFF PASTRY sheet (Butterblätterteig preferred, or Blätterteig), 320 g, rectangular 25 x 42 cm or simliar
- 2 COURGETTES (Zucchinis), about 500 g total, sliced into 3-4 mm-thick rounds, not super thin but not very thick
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh THYME
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground BLACK PEPPER (yes, please grind it and measure it)
- 1 tablespoon EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 1/2 teaspoon SALT
- 150 g fresh GOAT CHEESE at room temperature (we like Chavroux brand)
- 20 g freshly finely grated PARMESAN CHEESE, about 50-60 ml
- 1. Pre-bake the pastry crust. Heat oven to 190 C. Unroll the chilled pastry on its baking paper on the countertop. With a fork, prick the pastry thoroughly all over, all the way to the edges, lots of little holes everywhere. Slide pastry on its baking paper onto a flat baking tray (trim pastry with scissors if too large, it should lie flat, no curled edges). Bake in middle of oven 10-15 minutes, checking often, pressing pastry flat again with a spatula if it begins to puff, until it browns very lightly all over. Cool completely. (Can be tightly plastic wrapped and kept on the countertop for one day)
- 2. Prep the toppings. Slice the courgettes, chop the thyme, grind the pepper, bring the goat cheese to room temperature (speed it up by mixing the cheese around in a bowl and leaving on countertop, covered). Heat oven to 200 C.
- 3. Toss courgette in a medium bowl with the oil, thyme and black pepper. All slices should have a light sheen of oil. Just before topping the tart, add salt to the courgette and mix around thoroughly with your hands.
- 4. Top the tart. Spread the goat cheese over the pastry crust. Place courgette slices in a single layer evenly over the goat cheese layer. Sprinkle the whole surface with Parmesan.
- 5. Bake and serve. Slide tart into middle of oven and bake until crust deepens in color and courgette begins to shrivel slightly around the edges, about 12-15 minutes. Use a pizza cutter to cut the finished tart into 10 rectangles. Transfer the pieces to a platter. Drizzle lightly with additional olive oil. Serve warm or at room temperature.