Green Olive Tapenade with Rueda
- 40 pitted GREEN SPANISH OLIVES, coarsely chopped
- 4 ANCHOVIES from a freshly opened can, coarsely chopped (we like Cantábrico brand from Coop)
- 1 teaspoon CAPERS
- 1 teaspoon finely ground BLANCHED ALMONDS
- 1 clove GARLIC, mashed to a paste or put through a garlic press
- 4 tablespoons fruity OLIVE OIL
- ¼ teaspoon ground CUMIN
- ¼ teaspoon PAPRIKA, preferably Spanish style
- ¼ teaspoon THYME
- Freshly ground BLACK PEPPER
About fourteen 1-cm slices from long, crusty BAGUETTE
- Whole PARSLEY leaves and/or SLIVERED ALMONDS for garnish
- 1. Blend tapenade. Place all ingredients except baguette and garnishes in the bowl of a food processor and mix until as finely chopped as possible. Optional additional step for best texture: transfer to a mortar and pound until the mixture forms a paste [tapenade may be prepared to this point up to two days ahead, stored covered in the refrigerator].
- 2. To serve tapas, spread tapenade thinly on the bread and garnish with parsley leaves and/or slivered almonds.
- Adapted from: Casas, Penelope. "Green Olive Paste Canapé". Tapas: The Little Dishes of Spain. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., 1985.